Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
GeneralWhat is Confluent Cloud? Who is Confluent Cloud for? Why should I use Confluent Cloud? What version of Apache Kafka® is run? How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?
Erste SchritteHow do I sign up for Confluent Cloud? How do I use Confluent Cloud?
SupportWhat are the different support offerings for Confluent Cloud plans? How is support provided for fully-managed vs. self-managed components?
Pricing & BillingHow is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud? How much do fully-managed Confluent components cost? Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time? Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
What is Confluent Cloud?
Apache Kafka® as a service, Confluent Cloud delivers a resilient, scalable streaming service deployable in minutes. We’ll manage Kafka for you so that don’t have to deploy, upgrade and maintain. Confluent Cloud offers two cloud plans:
- Confluent Cloud provides an elastically scalable, cloud-native event streaming service. Through a self-service portal you can start streaming in minutes with no cluster sizing, no minimums, no upfront commitments, and you only pay for what you stream.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise provides a data streaming service for all projects including mission-critical production apps. It includes capabilities such as unlimited streaming, service level agreements (SLAs), security and compliance.
Who is Confluent Cloud for?
Confluent Cloud is the ideal streaming data service for engineering leaders, the DevOps-starved organization, agile and cloud-first developers on a mission and Kafka developers who want to build streaming applications.
Why should I use Confluent Cloud?
Confluent Cloud is the easiest way to harness the performance of an event streaming platform, saving you from having to manage your own Kafka brokers. You can stream data from your on-premises Confluent Platform to Confluent Cloud to build a hybrid cloud data pipeline. At the same time, you can stream data between public clouds and make your data available in real time across any cloud.
- Confluent Cloud offers self-serve access to the rich Kafka ecosystem. Get up and running in minutes and discover hands-on how Confluent Cloud can meet all your streaming needs. Payment is flexible — pay monthly by credit card and cancel anytime.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise is proven to deliver 99.95% uptime, one of the highest in the industry. By leveraging the experience of Kafka’s original creators to maximize uptime and service levels, your Kafka system will run with best practices and always stay up-to-date with the latest Kafka version.
What version of Apache Kafka® is run?
Unlike proprietary services, Confluent Cloud offers the same open-source Kafka APIs that you know and love—giving you access to the vibrant Kafka ecosystem. Because Confluent Cloud was built by the original creators of Kafka, we’re always running the most up-to-date version.
How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?
All Confluent Connectors are compatible with Confluent Cloud. For detailed instructions on how to connect Confluent Platform components (like Control Center, Kafka Connect, REST Proxy, KSQL, Schema Registry, etc.), see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
How do I sign up for Confluent Cloud?
You can sign up at https://www.confluent.io/confluent-cloud/#sign-up.
How do I use Confluent Cloud?
What are the different support offerings for Confluent Cloud plans?
With Confluent Cloud and Confluent Cloud Enterprise you are in the hands of Kafka experts.
- Confluent Cloud offers a variety of options, including free access to our community documentation, forum and a one-day response rate to any questions submitted through our Contact Us form. More details are available on our support page.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise includes Confluent Business support with 24x7x365 access and within 1-hour response time for P1 issues from the Apache Kafka experts. For access to a Technical Account Manager (TAM) and within 30 minutes response times for P1 issues, CCE customers have the option to add-on Confluent Premier support.
For general inquiries, please refer to our documentation.
How is support provided for fully-managed vs. self-managed components?
- Fully-managed Support for fully managed components depends on the release stage as outlined below.
- Preview: This is the initial release stage is being introduced to gain early feedback from customers and is not recommended for production workloads. Confluent support not available.
- Production & General Availability: Components at this stage are production ready and include Confluent support.
- Self-managed components include Confluent support with Confluent Cloud Enterprise (i.e. compatible with Confluent Cloud, and supported by Confluent but deployed, upgraded and maintained by customer).
Pricing & Billing
How is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud?
- Confluent Cloud
Pricing is based purely on consumption. There are no commitments, no upfront cost and you only pay for what you actually use. Usage will be calculated based on three metrics: data in (measured in GB), data out (measured in GB) and data stored (measured in GB-month). Pricing varies by cloud provider and region.
Consumption is measured via instrumentation within the hosted product, based on sampling at regular intervals. In the event that Confluent is unable to measure metrics, consumption will be calculated as zero for the impacted timeframe.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise
Pricing is based on write/read throughput, storage and availability requirements (single vs. multi-zone). For pricing information, please request a quote and one of our professionals will provide you with detailed pricing based on your requirements
How much do fully-managed Confluent components cost?
All fully-managed components are free to use during the preview stage but may incur charges when they transition to limited/general availability. Available fully-managed components:
- Schema-Registry: Offered for free to all Confluent Cloud customers
- KSQL: Free during preview only
- Connectors: Free during preview only
Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time?
Accrued charges and usage summary in the Billing & Payment UI are not shown in real-time. Delays can be expected from the instrumentation that is used to calculate consumption. As such, accrued charges displayed in the UI at the end of the billing period may not be final due to late arriving data.
Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
- Confluent Cloud is a no commitment, pay only for what you consume service. In the event a user chooses to cancel service, Confluent will provide a final billing statement on the standard date after the end of the calendar month.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise subscriptions can not be paused or put on hold. However, you can transfer your data from Confluent Cloud before deleting your cluster. For more information, see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.