Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
GeneralWhat is Confluent Cloud? Who is Confluent Cloud for? Why should I use Confluent Cloud? What cloud providers are supported? What version of Apache Kafka® is run? How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?
Erste SchritteHow do I sign up for Confluent Cloud? How do I use Confluent Cloud?
SupportWhat kind of support is offered with Confluent Cloud plans? How is support provided for fully-managed vs. self-managed components?
Pricing & BillingHow is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud? How much do fully-managed Confluent components cost? Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time? Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
What is Confluent Cloud?
Apache Kafka® as a service, Confluent Cloud delivers a resilient, scalable streaming service deployable in minutes. We’ll manage Kafka for you so that don’t have to deploy, upgrade and maintain. Confluent Cloud offers two cloud plans:
- Confluent Cloud provides an elastically scalable, cloud-native event streaming service. Through a self-service portal you can start streaming in minutes with no cluster sizing, no minimums, no upfront commitments, and you only pay for what you stream.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise provides a data streaming service for all projects including mission-critical production apps. It includes capabilities such as unlimited streaming, service level agreements (SLAs), security and compliance.
Who is Confluent Cloud for?
Confluent Cloud is the ideal streaming data service for engineering leaders, the DevOps-starved organization, agile and cloud-first developers on a mission and Kafka developers who want to build streaming applications.
Why should I use Confluent Cloud?
Confluent Cloud is the easiest way to harness the performance of an event streaming platform, saving you from having to manage your own Kafka brokers. You can stream data from your on-premises Confluent Platform to Confluent Cloud to build a hybrid cloud data pipeline. At the same time, you can stream data between public clouds and make your data available in real time across any cloud.
- Confluent Cloud offers self-serve access to the rich Kafka ecosystem. Get up and running in minutes and discover hands-on how Confluent Cloud can meet all your streaming needs. Payment is flexible — pay monthly by credit card and cancel anytime.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise is proven to deliver 99.95% uptime, one of the highest in the industry. By leveraging the experience of Kafka’s original creators to maximize uptime and service levels, your Kafka system will run with best practices and always stay up-to-date with the latest Kafka version.
What cloud providers are supported?
Confluent Cloud is currently available on Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform — with more to come. Confluent Cloud is agnostic to its cloud platform, so you can “lift and shift” your Kafka applications from any location, in and out of Confluent Cloud. All of the infrastructure is based on open source components, allowing you to recreate your data pipelines outside of Confluent Cloud and migrate your pipelines at your discretion.
What version of Apache Kafka® is run?
Unlike proprietary services, Confluent Cloud offers the same open-source Kafka APIs that you know and love—giving you access to the vibrant Kafka ecosystem. Because Confluent Cloud was built by the original creators of Kafka, we’re always running the most up-to-date version.
How do I connect components to Confluent Cloud?
All Confluent Connectors are compatible with Confluent Cloud. For detailed instructions on how to connect Confluent Platform components (like Control Center, Kafka Connect, REST Proxy, KSQL, Schema Registry, etc.), see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.
How do I sign up for Confluent Cloud?
You can sign up at https://www.confluent.io/confluent-cloud/#sign-up.
How do I use Confluent Cloud?
What kind of support is offered with Confluent Cloud plans?
With Confluent Cloud, you’re in expert hands.
- Confluent Cloud offers a variety of options, including documentation, access to our community forum and a one-day response rate to any questions submitted through our Contact Us form. More details are available on our support page.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise offers Gold support with 24x7x365 access and 1-hour response time for critical problems from the Apache Kafka® experts. Submit a ticket through the Confluent Support portal or get Community Support.
For general inquiries, please refer to our documentation.
How is support provided for fully-managed vs. self-managed components?
- Fully-managed components include Gold support in Confluent Cloud Enterprise except during the preview stage. During preview, components are not recommended to use for production use cases.
Fully-managed components will continue to be available as self-managed services without any support. Users that started running self-managed Schema Registry, KSQL and S3 Sink Connector before May 13, 2019 will continue to receive Gold support until the next renewal period.
- Self-managed components include Gold support with Confluent Cloud Enterprise (i.e. compatible with Confluent Cloud, and supported by Confluent but deployed, upgraded and maintained by customer). Planned future availability as fully-managed service in Confluent Cloud.
Pricing & Billing
How is pricing calculated for Confluent Cloud?
- Confluent Cloud
Pricing is based purely on consumption. There are no commitments, no upfront cost and you only pay for what you actually use. Usage will be calculated based on three metrics: data in (measured in GB), data out (measured in GB) and data stored (measured in GB-month). Pricing varies by cloud provider and region.
Consumption is measured via instrumentation within the hosted product, based on sampling at regular intervals. In the event that Confluent is unable to measure metrics, consumption will be calculated as zero for the impacted timeframe.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise
Pricing is based on write/read throughput, storage and availability requirements (single vs. multi-zone). For pricing information, please request a quote and one of our professionals will provide you with detailed pricing based on your requirements
How much do fully-managed Confluent components cost?
All fully-managed components are free to use during the preview stage but may incur charges when they transition to limited/general availability. Available fully-managed components:
- Schema-Registry: Offered for free to all Confluent Cloud customers
- KSQL: Free during preview only
- Connectors: Free during preview only
Does the billing dashboard in Confluent Cloud show usage metrics in real-time?
Accrued charges and usage summary in the Billing & Payment UI are not shown in real-time. Delays can be expected from the instrumentation that is used to calculate consumption. As such, accrued charges displayed in the UI at the end of the billing period may not be final due to late arriving data.
Can I pause or cancel my Confluent Cloud subscription?
- Confluent Cloud is a no commitment, pay only for what you consume service. In the event a user chooses to cancel service, Confluent will provide a final billing statement on the standard date after the end of the calendar month.
- Confluent Cloud Enterprise subscriptions can not be paused or put on hold. However, you can transfer your data from Confluent Cloud before deleting your cluster. For more information, see Connecting Components to Confluent Cloud.